Don’t you just hate it when you just had a manicure and suddenly your fingernail breaks? Fingernails and toenails are a reflection of a woman’s all-around well being – along with that radiant, glowing skin. But amidst all this, we neglect this very small but significant part of our body. Having those perfect nails give women that confidence. That is why you see nail salons popping up like mushrooms in every block. This article will discuss some nail care tips and tricks to grow and maintain stunning nails.
What we decide to put inside our body directly affects our nails. Therefore, healthy nails require a healthy diet. It is essential that we get adequate nutrition so our nails will come out strong and healthy. Nutrients and minerals such as calcium, vitamins A, B and C, phosphorus, silica and folic acid are vital. What are good sources of these nutrients and minerals you might ask? Well, make sure to get enough dairy products in your system like milk, yogurt and cheese. Also eat plenty of green, leafy vegetables and fruits. Seafood like salmon, tuna and sardines can do magic with those nails too! You can never go wrong with drinking lots of water. This magic potion hydrates your body giving you supple skin, silky hair and pinkish, strong nails. Darkened nails, with white ridges, brittle, and dryness usually indicate vitamin and nutrient deficiencies.
Good Hygiene Equals Healthy Nails
Your diet is not the only factor to achieving great nails, there’s your hygiene you need to keep in check. Maintaining clean nails ensure our safety from germs and diseases as most of them are carried under our fingernails. It is best to use protection for our hands such as gloves when cleaning, gardening, washing and handling food. Make sure to clean and wash your hands with soap around the nails and cuticles. A monthly visit to your manicure salon will be beneficial. But don’t forget to check with them if their tools and equipment are clean and sterilized. You can never be too careful!
It is very important that your hands and nails are well moisturized. Remove dead skin around your nails with a pumice stone while using a soft brush to clean under and around your nails. Applying Vitamin E oil or castor oil and massaging it on your hands and nails once a week is not a bad idea. Petroleum jelly can alleviate dryness of your fingernails and toenails during the cold season. Do not expose your nails to extreme cold and heat, or just plain hot water. Your nails will thank you for it.
It is best to avoid harsh chemicals. Acetone is a harsh chemical that contributes to making our nails brittle. So the next time you buy a nail polish remover, always make sure it does not contain acetone. It is very important to use a base coat before applying nail polish, especially dark and vibrant colours. The base coat ensures that the paint will not stain your nails. Another trick is to apply vinegar on top of your nail polish so it would last longer.
Here are a few more tips and tricks to taking care of your fingernails and toenails:
- Petroleum jelly works best for the nails but if you mix 1 tbsp of it to a packet of unflavored gelatine, massage the mixture daily to your nails for strength.
- Prevent from biting your fingernails.
- For smoother cuticles, massage it with a mixture of white iodine and castor oil.
- For a smoother nail polish, store it in the freezer.
- To prevent bubbles, let the first coat of nail polish dry before applying the second coat.
- Dipping your freshly polish applied fingers in cold water helps to dry it faster.
- Apply sun screen to your nails whenever you go out. This protects you nails from being brittle and harmful UVs.
- To prevent acrylic nails from dehydration and being removed from the nail plate, rub Almond oil to it.
- Apply olive oil to your nails to make it look glossy and shiny
- Do not file your nails deep in the corners as this prevents it from being strong.
- Nail filing should only concentrate on one direction and refrain from going back and forth. Use light strokes from the sides working your way towards the center.
- Rub your fingernails together every day as this enhances nail growth.
- Patch up any splits and cracks with nail glue or clear nail polish.
- Drink plenty of water a day to keep the body hydrated.
- Consume carrot juice. This is rich in calcium and phosphorus to help strengthen those nails.
- For nail growth, massage hands to enhance blood circulation.