The pursuit for good health is an eternal quest for man as evident in the never-ending researches and studies for food that gives good health. They are given top priority and finance with billions of dollars. Health is wealth and sought after more than fame, money and happiness. In-depth researches and invention of drugs and supplements are not the only option since fruits are all around you– serving as bearers of wellness and physical health. The ABCD fruits for health are: apples, bananas, cherries and durian Yes Durian! This is a propular fruit in Southeast Asian countries.
Let me discuss the fruit and its benefits one by one:
The common saying is that an apple a day keeps the doctor away is loaded with truth. These are the reasons proving its veracity for apples:
- Help protect bones – Flavanoid called phloridzin is contained in apples which serve as post- menopausal protection for women from osteoporosis as it increases bone density. Boron, another ingredient found in apples, makes bones strong.
- Alleviate asthmatic attacks – Children suffering from asthma who are drinking apple juice everyday exhibited less wheezing. Also babies born from mothers who ate lots of apples during pregnancy are less susceptible to asthma.
- Prevent Alzheimer – Studies proved that the quercetin in apples protects brain cells from free radicals damage that leads to Alzheimer’s disease.
- Lower cholesterol – The pectin in apples reduces LDL (bad) cholesterol. Eating two apples a day lowers cholesterol as much as 16%.
- Prevent lung cancer – Studies made of 10,000 people showed that those who were eating lots of apples had only 50% risk of developing lung cancer. Apples also stop the development of other kinds of cancer – breast, colon and liver.
- Reduce risk of diabetes – The pectin in apples supplies galacturonic acid to the body which reduces the need of the body for insulin and reduces the risk of diabetes.
- Cause weight loss – Dieting women who are eating three apples a day eliminate more pounds during the regimen than women who are not eating any apples.
They said that monkeys do not have pimples because they are banana-eaters so if you do not want to have pimples, eat bananas. Joking aside, bananas are very healthy and nutritious food. Bananas are nature’s energy rich food that is available all year round and very economical. They come in different sizes, weight, colours and taste with their outer skins protecting the sweet and tart creamy edible flesh inside.
Health benefits of bananas:
- The fruit is loaded with calories but very low in fats. It teems with anti-oxidants, minerals and vitamins.
- The flesh is soft, easily digestible containing simple sugar like fructose and sucrose that replenish energy and revitalize the body instantly.
- Bananas are used as treatment plan for underweight children.
- It is rich in soluble dietary fibre that helps normal bowel movements and reduces constipation.
- It contains flavonoid poly-phenolic antioxidants as lutein, zeaxanthin, beta and alpha carotenes that act as protectors from oxygen-derived free radicals and reactive species (ROS) that cause aging and other diseases.
- It is a rich source of vitamin B6 (pyridoxine) an important B-complex vitamin that is beneficial in the treatment of neuritis, anemia, coronary artery disease and stroke episodes.
- Is rich in vitamin C which helps the body resists against inflectional agents and the harmful oxygen free radicals.
- Provides a rich level of minerals as copper, magnesium and manganese. Copper is needed in the production of red blood cells; magnesium strengthens the bones and protects from cardiac arrest; and manganese is co-factor for the antioxidant enzyme.
- Bananas are rich in potassium which is an important component of cell and body fluids that helps control heart rates and blood pressure.
Cherries are small but terrible fruits. This miniature and shiny red/purple fruit looks so appealing that it graces many cocktail drinks and more important is the fact that it is packed with nutrients and unique antioxidants. There are many kinds of cherries which are all sources of good health. Cherries are one of the very low calorie fruits; yet are rich source of nutrients, vitamins and minerals. Both sweet as well as tart Cherries are packed with numerous health benefiting compounds that are essential for wellbeing.
Health Benefits of Cherries:
- They are pigment-rich fruits – with polyphenolic flavonoid compounds called anthocyanin glycosides. Anthocyanins give fruits its red, purple or blue pigments which have powerful antioxidant properties.
- Anthocyanins in cherries act like anti inflammatory agents by blocking the chronic pain suffered from gout arthritis, fibromyalgia and sport injuries.
- Cherries fight against cancer, aging and neurological diseases & pre-diabetes;
- They are teeming with rich and stable anti-oxidant melatonin that produces soothing effects on the brain neurons, calming down nervous system irritability which alleviates neurosis, insomnia and migraine.
- Cherries are good sources of potassium, iron, zinc, copper and manganese. They contain health promoting flavonoid phenolic anti-oxidants as lutein, zeaxanthin and beta carotene.
- Cherries are anti-inflammatory agents that reduce the risk of heart disease by fighting against free radicals.
- Acerola, a West Indian cherry has high contents of vitamins C and A
Southeast Asia honors Durian the title as King of Fruits for its quaint taste, versatility and benefits. It is popular for its large size (as large as 30 cm or 12 in long), thick thorny husk and unique odor. Its shape is sometimes oblong and sometimes round, its husks maybe coloured husk green to brown and its flesh goes from pale yellow to red, as determined by its species. Durian gives off a strong odor which is emitted even when unopened. Some people considered the scent of the fruit as repugnant, overpowering and offensive that many establishments in Asia do not allowed durian inside its place. But others seem not affected and considered the aroma even pleasant or the smell just like any other fruits. The taste of the white flesh/pulp inside is exotic which is incomparable to the taste of all other fruits. When ripe, it could be eaten fresh or cooked.
Health benefits of durian:
- Teems with energy, minerals and vitamins similar to other nutritious fruits as bananas, avocados and jackfruits;
- Speedily replenishes energy and revitalizes the body for it is rich in fructose, sucrose and some amount of fat;
- Is the best supplement given for underweight children;
- Is loaded with dietary fibre which makes is a good bulk laxative;
- Has fibre content which protects the colon mucous membrane by decreasing exposure to cancer-causing chemical in the colon;
- Is a good source of antioxidant Vitamin C which helps fight against infection and harmful free radicals;
- Has B-complex groups of vitamins such as niacin, riboflavin, pantothenic acid, pyridoxine and thiamin which are essential body needs;
- Contains minerals as manganese, copper, iron and magnesium. Manganese has antioxidant superoxide dismutase; copper helps in reproduction of red blood cells and iron is required for red blood cell formation;
- Is rich in potassium which is an important electrolyte for cell and body fluids controlling heart rate and blood pressure; and
- Has tryptophan which metabolizes into serotonin and melatonin for inducing sleep and treatment of epilepsy.
Beautifying benefits of durian:
- Contains hydrating oils and natural antioxidants that are good for the body and skin;
- Helps prolong the skin’s youthful-looking state;
- Enhances the penetration of anti-aging ingredients;
- Reverses the visible signs of aging both in the surface and in the cellular level; and
- Provides hydration, antioxidant protect and anti-inflammatory benefits.
- Move over, other super fruits and make way for Durian which has health and beauty benefits!
The ABCD fruits (apples, bananas, cherries and durian) are natural sources to bring good health and beauty benefits. They are delicious unlike prescription medicines that taste awful. Both economical and readily available, there is no reason why you will not make ABCD fruits the guardians of your health and wellness.